There are a number of natural minerals that are beneficial to the teeth. Calcium strengthens the enamel, phosphorus helps rebuild the enamel, and vitamin A keeps the gum healthy. However, none of these are as effective (or as important) to the teeth like fluoride. Here are some interesting facts about fluoride and fluoride treatments:
- Fluoride strengthens the teeth, re-mineralizes tooth enamel (the protective layer of the teeth), and helps fight off bacteria. By protecting the mouth from bacteria, fluoride wards off gum disease and tooth decay.
- Fluoride is a major ingredient in toothpaste and mouthwashes. Drinking fluoride water and eating food with high fluoride content (e.g. shrimp, blue crab, black tea, etc.) is a good way to boost oral health.
- People with eating disorders, drug or alcohol addictions, poor oral hygiene, weak enamels, and dry mouth are at higher risk of tooth decay than others. These people require specialized fluoride treatment from a dentist to protect their teeth.
- The fluoride treatment may come in the form of a gel, a concentrated rinse, or varnish and may be applied with a cotton swab, a brush or via a tray. Applying the treatment only takes a few minutes but for about an hour after application, you may not be allowed to drink or eat anything.
- Depending on your dental health, you may need a fluoride treatment every 3,6 or 12 months. Your dentist may also give you a prescription for a fluoride supplement in the form of tablets.
Protecting your teeth with fluoride treatments reduces your chances of tooth decay and the likelihood of losing your teeth in the future. If you live or work in Cypress, please visit Texas Premier Dental Clinic for all your oral health issues. Call 281-206-0100 for inquiries or to schedule an appointment.